Saturday, April 12, 2008

First Impressions

Hawaii. my new tropical homeland. i thought this might be an easier way to keep everyone up to date on my current events. lets see... i have been so blessed already in just the few days ive been here. First off its pretty amazing that i made it over here. Two major Hawaiian airlines just up and closed shop for good the week before i was leaving. Not only did that cause major problems but the FAA shut down several airlines canceling over 900 flights the day i was taking off. Thanks be to our Lord i made it without a hitch.

Some reason the thought never crossed my mind that there would be people from all over the world here at the YWAM base. It seriously blew my mind to see the diversity of Gods people in this small place. My roommate, Philip, is from Switzerland and is such a kind hearted awesome guy. He is a elementary school teacher back in Switzer. Working with the Missions Builder program is a very cool opportunity. We serve mon-fri 8 hrs a day then have weekends off which consist of island explorations and of course, surfing. It was my first day on a board in 6 years, crazy. Its amazing how much of a workout surfing really is. Me and the Sweds (4 amazing guys from Sweden) hitched out to a local surf spot that was a blast. I only caught one good wave but hey i got plenty of time to catch some more. Unfortunately though on my way back onto the shore i stepped on something that caused some immediate pain. I looked and my food and saw it was full of little slivery black spines. Vana, I soon found out is all over the place and is not fun at all to get a foot full of. I was told peeing on it would help ease the pain and lower the swelling. The whole reason that i was going back to shore was to get some water cause i was totally dehydrated. I felt really sick at first (mainly from dehydration) but then after a while was able to do the deed. I must say peeing on yourself is awkward. The funny thing is that right when we got there one of the sweds was telling me how last week he had to pee on one of the girls cause she stepped on one too. Fun fun. Ha ha.

Yeah so i haven't really worked yet i start on Monday but i just feel so grateful to be here. The missions builders live in an apartment complex that is about a half mile away from the University of the Nations Campus (where we work, and eat). So everyday there are shuttles that run between the locations, you miss the van and your walking. Well I think this is enough for the evening I'll definitely keep you all posted with more as it comes about.

Peace

2 comments:

Unknown said...

OK, here's the truth about vana. I grew up in Hawaii and last year I got stung. Peeing doesn't help at all. It will grow out of you in about 2 or 3 days, just make sure it doesn't get infected. If you get stung by a man-of-war, then you should pee on it. The problem with peeing is that you actually might infect it. Salt water is pretty good for stings, though

Also avoid centipedes, I got bit last year too, and it hurts a lot. If that happens, then puncture it and squeeze out the venom. That's all you have to worry about besides stonefish. If you step on a stonefish, you will die very fast, so just don't step on one.

Josiah said...

oh wonderful i feel so much better